Discovering Barnegat Bay
Discovering Barnegat Bay is an interdisciplinary guide for the historical, cultural and natural resources of the Barnegat Bay watershed. The program was created by members of the Barnegat Bay Environmental Educators Steering Committee in 2003 to provide a unique activity guide that addresses locally significant topics and resources.
- Forty lesson plans and activities designed specifically about the Barnegat Bay watershed.
- Activities that incorporate locally significant topics and issues into existing curricula.
- Lessons that are interdisciplinary and offer opportunities in Language Arts, Science, Social Studies & Mathematics.
- Chapters that focus on themes: Soil, Water’s Path, Natural Wonders, People and Places, and Boundaries of our Watershed. All are created to help make learning more meaningful for students by bringing it “closer to home.”
- A supplemental resource for teachers that meets New Jersey State Standards.
What will you receive as a Participant?
By participating in Discovering Barnegat Bay, you will receive
- A copy of the 340 page Discovering Barnegat Bay guidebook, full of 40 lesson plans and activities!
- The opportunity to investigate educational resources for students right in their own backyards and ideas for stewardship projects to initiate with students.
- Schools will each receive a Discovering Barnegat Bay “Treasure Chest” containing a selection of 63 items including: videos, curricular materials, posters, resource guides, maps and more!
Registration fee is $35.00 per teacher, which includes purchase of the guidebook.
We request a minimum of ten teachers in order to schedule an in-service. Workshops can be customized and scheduled to fit the needs of the school and staff.
18 Agencies and Organizations partnering to bring all the collective educational resources together.
New Jersey Marine Sciences Consortium
Barnegat Bay Partnership
Sedge Island Natural Resources Education Center
Project Learning Tree- NJ Parks and Forestry
New Jersey Forest Resource Education Center
Ocean County Soil Conservation District
NJDEP- Division of Fish and Wildlife
NJDEP-Division of Watershed Management
US Fish and Wildlife Service- Edwin B. Forsythe Wildlife Refuge
OCVTS-Marine Academy of Technology and Environmental Services
NJ Audobon Society
NJ Museum of Agriculture
Pinelands Preservation Alliance
Ocean County Department of Solid Waste Management
Ocean County Parks Department
Natural Resource Foundation of New Jersey
Rutgers Cooperative Extension
Funding provided by NJDEP (319h – Clean Water Act) and Barnegat Bay Partnership for implementation